Monday, December 22, 2008

My profile on LinkedIn

OK, I'm no Barrymore, but with a little help from my friends, I've finally got a presentable profile on LinkedIn. (Any suggestions for improving it? Please email me. I'm a work in progress!)

Frankly, I have been accused of being "anti-social." I don't assign a high priority to sites like MySpace and Facebook for B2B marketing. I once stunned a staff meeting when the CEO asked me to promote the company on MySpace and I said, "No!" Everyone just stared at me. I politely explained that I didn't think MySpace was the right place to put his time and money into promoting enterprise software. It's a virtual singles bar, not the place to attract industrial clients.

On the other hand, I have become convinced it is worthwhile setting up a profile on LinkedIn. To oversimplify, LinkedIn is for business networking, rather than "Hey, look at my cool pictures."

But it's not enough to sign up with LinkedIn and set up a profile just quoting your resume. If you want to make LinkedIn work for you, the indispensable guide is I'm on LinkedIn -- Now What???: A Guide to Getting the Most OUT of LinkedIn by Jason Alba. Both the book and the blog .

Also get the free ebook, Can LinkedIn Increase Your Sales? by Jill Konrath author of Selling to Big Companies. (Not surprisingly, her first piece of advice is to get I'm on LinkedIn -- Now What???)

No comments:

Post a Comment