Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Is Print Dead?

Yes, I know. Prophets of doom (and those who stand to profit from doom) have predicted the end of print for decades. Two years ago Bob Bly proclaimed print alive and well.

Today, though, BtoB Magazine (online!) announces: Ziff Davis Media to shutter print version of ‘PC Magazine’

Is this an omen?

I doubt it. It's only natural for PC wonks to go online for their info fix. The premature print funeral reminds me of the famous "death" quote from Mark Twain. According to some sources, the original version went like this:
"James Ross Clemens, a cousin of mine, was seriously ill two or three weeks ago in London, but is well now. The report of my illness grew out of his illness; the report of my death was an exaggeration."

No comments:

Post a Comment