Friday, August 22, 2008

TinyURL down and out?

If you've ever tried to cut and paste a web link that runs two or three lines long, you know why so many online writers use TinyURL for shortened links.

Since yesterday, though, I have not been able to open any pages at TinyURL.com, including their home page. I thought it was just me, so I systematically disabled all my security software (want a list? too long for this post...). And I still had the problem. Then I found this post from Marshall Kirkpatrick:
TinyURL Outage Illustrates the Service's Risks - ReadWriteWeb
Frankly, I think his take on it is too harsh. TinyURL is a free service. And they have been more dependable than some expensive software I use. Even Gmail has gone down (with no warning or explanation to users). We expect everything on the Net to be free and reliable. Is that fair? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment